Almost every driver, at some point in his or her life, will end up with a speeding ticket. Often, individuals simply choose to pay the ticket and forget about it, but sometimes it pays to fight your speeding charges in court. If you choose to contest a traffic citation, working with an experienced Howard County speeding ticket lawyer can make a big difference in the outcome of your case.
Our attorneys defend clients facing criminal charges in Howard County every day, and we are prepared to bring our local experience to the forefront of your case. Contact our law offices to set up a consultation and speak with us about your defense options today.
Do You Need an Attorney?
The decision whether or not to hire a Howard County traffic attorney to handle a speeding ticket is influenced by a number of factors. Sometimes, it is not necessary to hire a lawyer, and it is more cost-effective to simply pay a small fine. However, there are certain times when it is important to seek an experienced speeding ticket lawyer to handle a traffic case:
- Out-of-town or out-of-state drivers may want to work with an attorney so that he or she can appear in court on their behalf and they can avoid costly trips and missing work.
- Drivers who have already accumulated points against their driving record may face license suspension, at which point working with a lawyer can become extremely important.
- Drivers whose citation is for speed-related reckless driving may face consequences above and beyond a mere speeding ticket. In these situations, it pays to work with someone who has experience handling these specific charges.
If you are unsure whether or not you should hire a lawyer to fight your speeding ticket, it helps to know that the initial consultation with a traffic attorney is free. You have nothing to lose by speaking with a lawyer and exploring your options.
Anatomy of a Traffic Stop
When a person sees the flashing lights of a police car in the rearview mirror, the initial response is often frustration or annoyance. However, it is important to remain calm during the encounter with law enforcement.
Often, the officer will ask you one or more questions, such as:
- Do you know why I pulled you over?
- Where are you coming from/going?
- Do you know how fast you were going?
- Have you had anything to drink?
Even if you feel the traffic stop was unwarranted or illegal, it’s important to remain calm and polite. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. By retaining a Howard County speeding ticket attorney, he or she can accompany you to court and contest the ticket and the traffic stop on your behalf.
Options For Fighting Your Ticket
If you receive a speeding ticket in Maryland, consulting a lawyer is perhaps the best way to determine your options for fighting the ticket.
In general, there are three things you can do if you get a traffic ticket:
- Pay the ticket. Keep in mind that while this is often the simplest option, doing so is an admission of guilt. The offense will go on your driving record, and it could result in higher insurance premiums and demerit points against your license.
- Attend a waiver hearing that allows you to explain any mitigating circumstances for speeding. Again, this is an admission of guilt, but a judge may accept your explanation, giving you a reduced fine and allowing you to attend traffic school to keep the traffic offense off of your DMV record.
- Request a trial. In this case, the officer who issued the citation will have to appear in court to testify against you, and your lawyer will defend you against the charge.
For a free consultation to determine which course of action might be the best for you, call our offices today to schedule an appointment with one of the Howard County speeding ticket lawyers at our firm.